This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
>From a terminal window please run:

apport-collect 1627905

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Ubuntu can't be installed to certain Lenovo Yoga laptops because the
  fakeraid storage mode is not supported.

  Several Lenovo Yoga laptops do not allow the user to install any
  current Linux distributions due to being BIOS-locked to a RAID mode
  and Linux does not support this. You can boot a Linux live
  environment, but when you go to install, it will not see the Solid
  State Drive and it does not appear as a PCI device.

  The affected models are the Yoga 900 ISK2, 900S, 710S, and 900 ISK for
  Business, and probably the new Yoga Book and Yoga 910 as well.

  Lenovo has stated that removing the AHCI option from the BIOS is a
  feature and that they don't plan to fix this.

  There have been some blog postings and news articles about this issue
  lately.

  Here is the Lenovo Forums topic:

  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Yoga-900-13ISK2-BIOS-
  update-for-setting-RAID-mode-for-missing/td-p/3339206/highlight/false

  (Note that this says it is solved, but it is not. Lenovo replied that
  they won't fix it and that Linux is not supported on these laptops.)

  Matthew Garrett's blog post is here:
  https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/44694.html

  I approached him with the idea that perhaps the Linux kernel could be
  modified to reset the hardware and put it into AHCI mode after GRUB
  loads the kernel (according to him, GRUB doesn't need to be modified
  because it uses the uEFI firmware's disk access), and then Linux could
  proceed to boot.

  Here's what he said:

  "If you wanted to try that, the best place to do it would be the UEFI
  setup code in the kernel under arch/x86/boot/compressed/eboot.c - that
  way you can do it independent of bootloader. Grub's able to read files
  anyway since it's using the firmware calls to do that.

  The power management thing isn't about the SSD itself, it's about
  ensuring that the controller is programmed correctly so that the
  entire CPU package can enter deep sleep states. Modern systems should
  idle at around 4W at most, so small amounts make abig difference
  here."

  [...]

  "If the firmware hasn't locked the control bit and if the hardware is
  ok with suddenly being reconfigured, sure, that ought to work. Doing
  it in eboot.c means you're doing it before any PCI enumeration has
  occurred, which makes it more likely that things will work out well."

  [...]

  "I'll take a quick look at the 10-series chipset docs to see if it's
  documented, and if so I'll throw a quick patch together - but I'm
  probably not going to try pushing it upstream, I'm afraid. If it does
  work, I'm fine with anybody else doing so."

  I heaven't heard anything back lately, so I am putting this in a bug report
so that the Ubuntu maintainers are aware of the issue.

  It seems like a few lines of kernel code are all that is really
  required to fix this and restore the ability of Linux distributions to
  be installed on half a dozen laptops (probably more to come, since
  Lenovo says that the industry is moving to this!).