Thanks for testing, Nikolaus.  This would indicate the issue was
introduced by an Ubuntu specific SAUCE patch.

I created  a test kernel with commit cd6e935, since it was the only
recent USB SAUCE patch.  Can you test this kernel and post back if it
fixes this bug or not?  It can be downloaded from:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1234818/

  Regression: DisplayLink DL-195 fails with EAGAIN after upgrade from
  3.11.0-031100  to 3.11.0-11

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  My Plugable UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 to DVI adapter (using chipset DisplayLink
  DL-195, USB ID 17e9:4302) works fine with 3.11.0-031100-generic.
  However, when upgrading to 3.11.0-11-generic, X11 fails to open the
  DRI device with

  [     8.868] (EE) open /dev/dri/card1: Resource temporarily
  unavailable

  Reverting to  3.11.0-031100-generic fixes the problem. Upgrading to
  current mainline (3.12.0-999.201310030405) also fixes the problem (but
  causes lots of kernel BUG messages).

  In both cases, the kernel correctly creates the /dev/fb1 and
  /dev/dri/card1 devices. There are no error messages in the kernel log.

  I can bisect this if someone tells me where to find the intermediate
  versions.