Sorry, I don't get far enough to get any more debug information. If I
boot in recovery mode, the machine locks completely after displaying
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelBoot I don't even get that, just
a hung machine with a totally blank screen.

With the options from comment #4 I get the same screen shot as in
comment #6, except of course the kernel level is now 4.4.0-38-generic

I've also had no luck booting the yaketty daily. Same lockup.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  HP Pavilion 13-b208tu fails to boot with F.26 bios, PSOD

  While trying to fix Bug #1432659, I updated the HP Pavilion 13-b208tu bios to
the latest available on the HP website (F.26):

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-13-b200-Notebook-PC-series/7527795/model/7597682

  After the update, the laptop no longer boots Ubuntu 14.10 or Ubuntu
  15.04 (Ubuntu 15.04 from the hard drive, Ubuntu 14.10 using a LiveCD).
  The grub menu is available and works, the kernel loads, the initrd
  step works, and then it hangs hard and requires power cycling.

  The required information for a kernel bug report can be found in Bug
  #1432659, from the original shipped F.23 bios. I obviously can't
  attach information with the F.26 bios loaded.

  I can confirm that the bios update worked, and I have repeated it
  twice. HP diagnostics give the system a green light, and I can boot to
  FreeDOS as normal. I'll leave the system unbootable with the F.26 bios
  for a while in case someone can help me diagnose further from grub.