@tomposmiko, the official way is to 1) file a bug report, 2) get that
fixed in the current development branch, and then 3) follow the SRU
(stable release update) process to get it backported into the LTS
release.

The hole birth thing is a mess, and I've got bug #1600060 open for that
in Ubuntu. Hopefully we can get that work-around included soon.

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  Please upgrade to zfs 0.6.5.7

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  Version 0.6.5.7 was released 21 ago, this is the changelog:
  https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/releases/tag/zfs-0.6.5.7

  Since Ubuntu is now shipping ZFS we can't rely on the ppa anymore to
  provide up to date packages. This point release also fixes a few minor
  bugs and supports Linux 4.6.