I am having similar issues booting on my i7 6900K CPU. This is an issue
on real hardware, not a VM. The relevant bug is here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1633172 .

  4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

Status in Linux:
  Unknown
Status in linux-raspi2 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Yakkety:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-raspi2 source package in Yakkety:

  On my native amd64 box, 4.8.0-15 works just fine, but on my VMWare
  Fusion 8.5 system, none of the 4.8.0 kernels complete the boot
  process.  I tried 4.8.0-15 from yakkety and 4.8.0-16 from yakkety-
  proposed.

  Currently  I am seeing the last message in my console at boot up as:

  [ OK ] Started Bluetooth service

  and then... it just sits there.

  Through the use of snapshots, restores, and package bisects, I've
  definitively narrowed it to linux-generic linux-image-generic and
  linux-headers-generic.