This has been reported in July and the firmware still hasn't been
updated. I'm using the board in teaching at my university and now we
have to manually copy the new firmware version. It's been available
upstream for ages but it's still not in the ubuntu firmware package.
It's very disappointing.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-firmware in Ubuntu.

  usbduxsigma_firmware.bin: old version causes driver crash

Status in linux-firmware package in Ubuntu:

  The firmware of the usbduxsigma (alongside with the usbduxsigma.c) was
  updated in 2015 during a major rewrite but its binary was still the
  old one which causes the kernel driver to fail.

  I've submitted a patch to the kernel people (see below).

  However, as a quick fix could you also apply the patch to the package
  directly to have this fixed now and then we can wait until it trickles
  down from the kernel.

  I'm the maintainer of both the firmware and the drivers.

  This affects both 32 and 64 bit distros.

  Best,
  /Bernd Porr (www.linux-usb-daq.co.uk)

  Release:      16.04

  linux-firmware:
    Installed: 1.157.2
    Candidate: 1.157.2
    Version table:
   *** 1.157.2 500
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
Packages
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main i386
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1.157 500
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main i386 Packages

  Expect to happen: plug in a duxduxsigma device, start comedirecord and see
the signals plotted
  Happens instead: plug in a duxduxsigma device, start comedirecord and GARBLED
DATA shows up / crash
  Fix: install this patch (new version of the firmware binary)

  Package: linux-firmware 1.157.2 [modified:
lib/firmware/usbduxsigma_firmware.bin]
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sun Jul 24 10:04:19 2016
  Dependencies:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64 (20131209)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: linux-firmware
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to xenial on 2016-07-23 (0 days ago)