Is there a prior kernel version that does boot properly?  If there is,
we can perform a kernel bisect to find the commit that introduced this
bug.

  unable to enable iommu on HPE Proliant Gen9 server

  I'm using MAAS to enable the following kernel flags on install/boot:

    iommu=pt intel_iommu=on

  in order to be able to passthrough SR-IOV VF functions to KVM guess;
  however when these options are enabled, the servers fail to install
  (see attached screenshot).

  The install eventually fails - it looks like the writes back to one of
  the disks starts to fail for some reason.

  Servers are targeted with Xenial and the release 4.4 kernel (no HWE).