The attached is a proof-of-concept solution - it adds an event
generation (KEY_ROTATE_DISPLAY) in addition to
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/2058487.

Let's try whether this event is generated for userspace and whether it
meets the need.  If it does, I will work with upstream on a proper
solution.

** Attachment added: "thinkpad_acpi.c"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1644670/+attachment/4784461/+files/thinkpad_acpi.c

  cannot use tablet mode lid sensor on yoga 460

  See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1644047 for
  machine logs.

  I see a message like this in syslog when I put this laptop into tablet mode
(lid all the way backwards) from

  [80192.862047] thinkpad_acpi: unknown possible thermal alarm or keyboard
event received
  [80192.862053] thinkpad_acpi: unhandled HKEY event 0x60c0
  [80192.862055] thinkpad_acpi: please report the conditions when this event
happened to ibm-acpi-de...@lists.sourceforge.net
  [80194.976875] thinkpad_acpi: unknown possible thermal alarm or keyboard
event received
  [80194.976885] thinkpad_acpi: unhandled HKEY event 0x60c0
  [80194.976889] thinkpad_acpi: please report the conditions when this event
happened to ibm-acpi-de...@lists.sourceforge.net

  Happens on current kernel in 16.10, and also 4.9 as per the previous
  stated launchpad bug.

  possible solution ?:
  http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/2058487

  We need this to be handled by whatever input dev node so unity8 can react to
when the lid it is put into tablet mode.