The verification of the Stable Release Update for linux has completed
successfully and the package has now been released to -updates.
Subsequently, the Ubuntu Stable Release Updates Team is being
unsubscribed and will not receive messages about this bug report.  In
the event that you encounter a regression using the package from
-updates please report a new bug using ubuntu-bug and tag the bug report
regression-update so we can easily find any regressions.

  arm64: kprobes disabled

Status in linux source package in Yakkety:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Zesty:

  kprobes is currently enabled for all Ubuntu architectures except arm64. This
excludes a useful debug feature, which is required by certain userspace
provided by Ubuntu, such as perf's probe command. I failed to notice this in my
yakkety config review because it is a new feature in v4.8.

  [Test Case]
  = Failure case =
  ubuntu@arm64:~$ sudo perf probe schedule
  kprobe_events file does not exist - please rebuild kernel with
CONFIG_KPROBE_EVENTS.
    Error: Failed to add events.

  = Success case =
  ubuntu@arm64:~$ sudo perf probe schedule
  Added new event:
    probe:schedule       (on schedule)

  You can now use it in all perf tools, such as:

          perf record -e probe:schedule -aR sleep 1

  ubuntu@arm64:~$ sudo perf record -e probe:schedule -aR sleep 1
  [ perf record: Woken up 1 times to write data ]
  [ perf record: Captured and wrote 0.185 MB perf.data (61 samples) ]

  [Regression Risk]
  The proposed fix enables a config for an already-upstream feature, so
regressions will have upstream support. The config change mostly results in
building new code vs. modifying existing code. The notable exception is that
arm64's notify_page_fault() will now get code to call kprobe_fault_handler() -
but only in the case that this newly enabled feature is being used (if
kprobe_running()).