Would it be worth trying to put the i915 on the blacklist?
And if yes - how should I do that?

  [ivb] [WORTMANN TERRA MOBILE ULTRABOOK 1450 II] System freeze after
  high memory usage

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  I have a Wortmann Terra Mobile 1450 II:

http://www.wortmann.de/de-de/product/aa_terra_mobile_nb/1220285/terra-mobile-ultrabook-1450-ii.aspx

  that randomly system freezes on Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit since I installed
  my system in Dec. 2012. When the system freezes no mouse , no
  keyboard, no REISUB is possible. The screen is corrupted and did not
  update. The only key board functionality which is still possible is
  Fn+F9 (switch display on/off). I need to switch off the system hard.

  The freeze occurs when the system runs on battery as also when it is plugged.
When the system freeze occurs with power adapter plugged the system switches
off when I disconnect the power adapter - even if the battery is full charged.
  But the powermanagement in general seems to work perfect in Ubuntu 12.10.

  To me it looks like the system freeze occurs often after high memory usage.
  I can use the system with a few applications (Thunderbird / Firefox) for long
time (several hours) without any freeze.
  But when I start java programming the probability increases that the problem
occurs. This means:
   I start Eclipse 4.2, MySQL and GlassFish 3.2 Server. I open a lot of browser
windows and read and write much files to disk.
  The memory usage in this case increases from less then 1GB to more than 3GB
(on total 8GB Ram) - I do not know if this is relevant - but maybe.
  I observe the situation for more than two months. As I use my system for work
I have freezes one or two times a day - mostly when I have much work ;-) I
develop JEE server business applications - so in the situation when the system
freezes there is really no heavy graphic load. I am using Gnome Shell.
  The freeze seems to be absolutely randomly - I can not reproduce the system
freeze.

  I can not be sure but it seems to me that since yesterday the system shuts
down after some seconds when it feezes. I notice this because I tried to login
via ssh to collect the data of the file
/sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state. But as the system shuts down I was
not able to check the content.
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  ubuntu     4258 F.... pulseaudio
                        ubuntu    14314 F.... pulseaudio
  CasperVersion: 1.331
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04
  LiveMediaBuild: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424)
  MachineType: To be filled by O.E.M. To be filled by O.E.M.
  MarkForUpload: True
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent
file=/cdrom/preseed/username.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet
splash -- maybe-ubiquity
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-3.8.0-19-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-3.8.0-19-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                            1.106
  RfKill:
   0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no
  Tags:  raring
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  dmi.bios.date: 09/21/2012
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: X300V TR.2
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: ChiefRiver
  dmi.board.vendor: INTEL Corporation
  dmi.board.version: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrX300VTR.2:bd09/21/2012:svnTobefilledbyO.E.M.:pnTobefilledbyO.E.M.:pvrTobefilledbyO.E.M.:rvnINTELCorporation:rnChiefRiver:rvrTobefilledbyO.E.M.:cvnToBeFilledByO.E.M.:ct3:cvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:
  dmi.product.name: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.product.version: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.sys.vendor: To be filled by O.E.M.