Thanks for the update. We can perform a "Reverse" bisect to identify the
commit that fixes the bug in v4.10-rc4. We first need to identify the
last bad kernel and first good one.

Can you test the following kernels:

4.5 final: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.5-wily/
4.8-rc1: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.8-rc1/
4.10-rc1: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.10-rc1/

You don't have to test every kernel, just up until the kernel that first
kernel that does not have this bug.

We can SRU the commit to all releases this bug affects once we identify
it.

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury)

  No server console display after Grub screen until fully booted and
  pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1/8

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Today I did our first production 14.04 to 16.04 LTS server upgrade. I
  had done so a couple of times successfully on test server machines.
  Upon booting up on the 16.04 system/kernel, after the Grub screen the
  server console screen is completely blank.

  Someone suggested using Ctrl-Alt-F1/8, and indeed pressing those
  hotkeys does toggle through the tty screens.

  There is no boot process logged to the server console screen.

  I did have the last 14.04 kernel yet installed, so selected that one
  from the Grub menu. Booting that 14.04 kernel, then server console
  display behaves normally.

  So I suspected perhaps a bum install of the 16.04 kernel. I used the
  following commands while booted to the 14.04 kernel to reinstall the
  16.04 kernel:

  $ sudo dpkg -P linux-image-4.4.0-59-generic
linux-image-extra-4.4.0-59-generic linux-image-generic
  $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic

  Same results booting the 16.04 kernel after those steps.

  Hardware spec is an Intel Atom D945GCLF2D boxed motherboard with Intel
  Atom 330 Dual-Core processor and 2GB RAM. RAID is 3Ware SATA RAID.