Would it be possible for you to test the latest upstream kernel? Refer
to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds . Please test the latest
v4.10 kernel[0].

If this bug is fixed in the mainline kernel, please add the following
tag 'kernel-fixed-upstream'.

If the mainline kernel does not fix this bug, please add the tag:
'kernel-bug-exists-upstream'.

Once testing of the upstream kernel is complete, please mark this bug as
"Confirmed".

Thanks in advance.

[0] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.10-rc6

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: kernel-da-key

  No HDMI out on Asus UX51 running 16.10 or 16.04

  Running Ubuntu 16.10 on an Asus UX51 laptop; i915+Nvidia dual graphics
  using the Nouveau driver.

  The machine has both VGA out and HDMI out; VGA works like a charm but
  HDMI is not even detected. Meaning that none of (xrandr, lspci, aplay,
  get-edid) even reports the HDMI port as present.

  It's not clear to me whether or not this is an X or a kernel issue at
  the heart of it.  I did, however, upgrade recently from 16.04 (where
  this bug was also present!) to see if that made any difference (which
  it did not) and I did try the proprietary Nvidia drivers (340 and 367)
  to see if either of them made a difference (which they did not).

  I can assure you that I've read every relevant-sounding bug report and
  askubuntu question from the past year on this topic without
  discovering any fixes.  Happy to try what needs to be tried.