I've asked the engineer to try the latest v4.10-rc6 kernel. This is
their first test with 16.04.1, so unknown if it works with previous
kernel version. I've asked them to check older versions to see if it
exists.

I'll update the tag and comment when I hear back from them. Thanks for
the recommendation.

  kernel crash when NVMe drive inserted in one slot

  Opening this on behalf of one of my colleagues at Cisco, we're seeing
  an issue on our new S-series S3260 server that's causing the kernel to
  crash.

  If we have an NVMe device inserted into one of two drive slots, we
  will see kernel crash only with Ubuntu. With an NVMe drive in the bad
  slot, other OS's will work fine. If we move the NVMe drive out of the
  bad slot and into the other slot, everything is working fine as
  expected. We only see the kernel crash with an NVMe drive in that bad
  slot when using Ubuntu. We tested with HGST and Intel NVMe drives and
  were able to reproduce the issue with both. HGST reviewed some logs
  and they don't believe at this time the issue is with the NVMe drives.

  We're hoping someone from Canonical can take a look to understand what
  is the difference between the working and failing slot. The data
  collection was done with the NVMe drive inserted in the working slot
  so we could access the OS.

  I had a connection time out when trying to use ubuntu-bug, so I saved
  the apport file and will attach to the bug. I have collected the
  kernel and syslog as well, but they are ~9GB. I found a call trace in
  the kernel log start on Jan 25 06:02:54 and floods the logs
  afterwards. I will include the call trace in a separate text file on
  the attachment.