I've scheduled install/reboot for Sunday evening UTC, and should be able
to report back a few days after that.

  many OOMs on busy xenial IMAP server with lots of available memory

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  We recently noticed that a busy xenial IMAP server with about 22 days
  uptime has been logging a lot of OOM messages.  The machine has 24G of
  memory.  Below please find some typical memory info.

  I noted that there was about 11G of memory allocated to slab, and
  since all of the oom-killer invoked messages report order=2 or order=3
  (see below for gfp_flags) I thought that maybe fragmentation was a
  factor.  After doing echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches to release
  reclaimable slab memory, no OOMs were logged for around 30 minutes,
  but then they started up again, although perhaps not as frequently as
  before, and the amount of memory in slab was back up around its former
  size.  To the best of my knowledge we do not have any custom VM-
  related sysctl tweaks on this machine.

  Attached please find version.log and lspci-vnvn.log.  And here's a link to a
kern.log from a little before time of boot onwards, containing all of the
oom-killer messages:
  https://people.canonical.com/~pjdc/grenadilla-sanitized-kern.log.xz

  == Breakdown of Failed Allocations ===

  pjdc@grenadilla:~$ grep -o 'gfp_mask=.*, order=.'
kern.log-version-with-oom-killer-invoked | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
     1990 gfp_mask=0x26000c0, order=2
     4043 gfp_mask=0x240c0c0, order=3
  pjdc@grenadilla:~$ _

  == Representative (Probably) Memory Info ==

  pjdc@grenadilla:~$ free -m
                total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available
  Mem:          24097        1762         213         266       22121
21087
  Swap:         17492         101       17391
  pjdc@grenadilla:~$ cat /proc/meminfo
  MemTotal:       24676320 kB
  MemFree:          219440 kB
  MemAvailable:   21593416 kB