I have now a fresh xenial system on my Dell XPS 13 DE 9333.

The touchpad has been working flawlessly until I upgraded from kernel
4.4.0-62-generic to 4.4.0-63-generic.

With the new kernel the touchpad is not detected at startup. With the
last working kernel the output"xinput list" command was including the
touchpad, albeit with a name ( DLL060A:00 06CB:2734 ) different than the
self explaining name of "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" which was standard
with Ubuntu trusty ( 3.13.0-108-generic ).

With kernel 4.4.0-63-generic the touchpad is not detected at all.

My conclusion is that my original assumption that the flaw in the
touchpad detection was somehow related to the upgrade from trusty to
xenial IS INDEED WRONG. The bug is apparently also affecting the clean
xenial installation.

The attached files contain the output of "xinput list" command,
depending on the active kernel.

The touchpad is working great with 3.13 ( trusty ) and xenial ( kernel 4.4.0-62
and older )
andis not detected with kernel 4.4.0-63 )

This is valid on my Dell XPS13 DE 9333. I will try to install xenial on a Dell
XPS 13 DE 9350.
On this newer computer the touchpad works well with Ubuntu trusty ( also with
xenial kernels ).

I have not tried to update the BIOS, since the computer is now working
quite well, albeit not with the latest kernel and my past experience
with BIOS updates makes me very cautious ...

** Attachment added: "Compressed folder with xinput results, with self
explaining file names"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1629613/+attachment/4824390/+files/xinput_results.tar.gz

  [Dell XPS 13] SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad not recognized after upgrade
  from 14.04 to 16.04

  * Touchpad doesn't work at all (No response from the Touchpad)
  * Tried using external mouse and it works fine
  * Cannot find "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" in "cat /proc/bus/input/devices"

  OS:           Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
  kernel version: 4.4.0-38-generic
  Laptop Model:   Dell XPS 13 - 93333