I am not sure anyone is actually looking into it. Updating to kernel version 64
resulted it system assigning yet another new name for the interfaces, which in
turn screwed up the networking. In my case, as I was ready for that, I just
listed what the system now called the interfaces, edited the
/etc/network/interfaces file to include the new names and, after a reboot, the
system got connected. It is a workaround, but that's
 all I can do for now.

  PPC new 4.4.0-63-powerpc63-smp kernel kills networking

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  After upgrading to a new kernel (4.4.0-63-powerpc64-smp) completely
  lost ethernet. Looks like the kernel doesn't load a module for my
  interface (driver r8169). Rolling back to previous kernel version
  fixes networking.