** Tags added: kernel-da-key kernel-hyper-v xenial yakkety zesty

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Zesty)

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Yakkety)

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Yakkety)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Zesty)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Yakkety)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Zesty)

  [Hyper-V] Implement Hyper-V PTP Source

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Triaged
Status in linux source package in Yakkety:
  Triaged
Status in linux source package in Zesty:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Please include the following upstream commit into lts-xenial, 16.04
  HWE, Yakkity, and Zesty. This will improve the behavior of timesync on
  Hyper-V hosts while simultaneously using network time sync protocols
  like NTP.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/hv/hv_util.c?id=3716a49a81ba19dda7202633a68b28564ba95eb5

  commit 3716a49a81ba19dda7202633a68b28564ba95eb5
  Author: Vitaly Kuznetsov <vkuzn...@redhat.com>
  Date:   Sat Feb 4 09:57:14 2017 -0700

      hv_utils: implement Hyper-V PTP source

      With TimeSync version 4 protocol support we started updating system time
      continuously through the whole lifetime of Hyper-V guests. Every 5 seconds
      there is a time sample from the host which triggers do_settimeofday[64]().
      While the time from the host is very accurate such adjustments may cause
      issues:
      - Time is jumping forward and backward, some applications may misbehave.
      - In case an NTP server runs in parallel and uses something else for time
        sync (network, PTP,...) system time will never converge.
      - Systemd starts annoying you by printing "Time has been changed" every 5
        seconds to the system log.

      Instead of doing in-kernel time adjustments offload the work to an
      NTP client by exposing TimeSync messages as a PTP device. Users may now
      decide what they want to use as a source.

      I tested the solution with chrony, the config was:

       refclock PHC /dev/ptp0 poll 3 dpoll -2 offset 0

      The result I'm seeing is accurate enough, the time delta between the guest
      and the host is almost always within [-10us, +10us], the in-kernel
solution
      was giving us comparable results.

      I also tried implementing PPS device instead of PTP by using not currently
      used Hyper-V synthetic timers (we use only one of four for clockevent) but
      with PPS source only chrony wasn't able to give me the required accuracy,
      the delta often more that 100us.

      Signed-off-by: Vitaly Kuznetsov <vkuzn...@redhat.com>
      Signed-off-by: K. Y. Srinivasan <k...@microsoft.com>
      Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gre...@linuxfoundation.org>