Public bug reported:

Since the upgrade of the LIS tools to 4.4.0-67+ the hyper v vm backup is
not possible anymore with the windows backup tool on an Ubuntu 16.04 on
a Gen 2 Hyper V VM. I cannot say what is exactly happening because there
are no log files and just a blank black screen. A second hyper v vm is
not crashing but cannot be backuped too. Same version of Ubuntu and LIS
but Gen 1 Hyper V VM.

  ubuntu hyper v vm freezes with high load after windows backup