This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
>From a terminal window please run:

apport-collect 1680502

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Hang after upgrade to 16.04

  Last week I upgraded from 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS and then immediately
  to 16.04 LTS.

  12.04 was not entirely stable; something was crashing regularly, and
  the Ubuntu tools make it hard for a user to determine what. The
  upgrade went moderately well; I now get error messages during system
  startup (about an unnamed file not being found) and a couple of other
  bits of flakiness, but I counted it as a success and the system as
  functional.

  This morning I tried to wake up my screen, and nothing much happened.
  I then attempted to ssh to the ubuntu box from another system. This
  requested my password almost instantly, as normal - but then nothing
  else happened, and the connection eventually dropped.

  I conclude that IP and TCP are functional, and it's possible for some
  processes to respond, but not many. So it's not a complete kernel
  hang. (In particular, I'm seeing evidence that it's getting beyond
  things done at interrupt level.)

  I don't have any debugging aids installed, so I don't believe I can
  get a kernel crash dump, which is what I'd want if I were debugging
  this. I *can* potentially retrieve and attach logs, but you'll have to
  tell me which ones are relevant, and do so before they rollover.
  (Also, logging will have to be functioning; IIRC, there were syslog
  issues in 12.04, and while I'd implemented whatever fix was
  reccommended at the time, I haven't looked at my logs since the
  upgrade.)

  This is a desk top system originally from System 76 - i.e. built for
  linux - that's also running a bunch of server software (postfix,
  apache, ...) I was not (knowingly) running anythign unusual at the
  time - probably Unity, a few shells, firefox, maybe guncash and/or
  emacs - and all the usual demons.

  IIRC, I was not at the very latest versions of all software installed
  - some new versions ahd come out since I upgraded, and I was going to
  deal with installing them on the weekend.

  I'm going to hard reboot the system now. I can then gather identifying
  info. If I have time this AM before work, I'll check for standard
  things you want in all bugs, and add them. (Right now I'm posting from
  my Mac laptop ;-))