The function says above it

"# Get the most recent kernel on Debian based systems. This keeps
# into account both the version and the ABI. If the current kernel
# is the most recent kernel then the function will print a null string."

so I think that my previous patch is wrong.

Packages, which is subscribed to dkms in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-375 DKMS module not recompiled on upgrade to 17.04

Status in dkms package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-375 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in virtualbox package in Ubuntu:

  When upgrading from 16.10 to 17.04 using `update-manager -d`, the
  `nvidia-375` DKMS modules are not compiled for the new kernel.

  The result is that the user must run `apt install --reinstall
  nvidia-375` and reboot.

  To reproduce this:

  - Clean install of 16.10 on a system with NVIDIA graphics
  - Install `nvidia-375`
  - Run `update-manager -d`, complete all steps, then reboot
  - You will be unable to login until running `apt install --reinstall
nvidia-375`