** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

  image won't boot after upgrading to yakkety's 4.8 kernel because efi

Status in cloud-images:
Status in linux source package in Xenial:

  If I use a relatively recent yakkety daily with uvt-kvm,

  com.ubuntu.cloud.daily:server:16.10:amd64 20160918

  and upgrade the kernel to the latest kernel (which happens to be 4.8),
  my VM won't boot any more. kern.log has:

  http://paste.ubuntu.com/23211671/

  and systemd complains that,

  [FAILED] Failed to mount /boot/efi
  See 'systemctl status boot-efi.mount' for details.

  and dumps me to a recovery console. Of course, I don't have EFI since
  I'm booting this thing on KVM. The problem here (I think) is that
  /boot/efi is in /etc/fstab, and systemd fails to boot when anything in
  /etc/fstab doesn't work.

  If I comment /boot/efi out of /etc/fstab, it boots just fine.