Can you see if this bug still exists if you install the latest 17.04
kernel, which can be downloaded from:

https://launchpad.net/~canonical-kernel-
team/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/12451317

To test this kernel, you need to install both the linux-image and linux-
image-extra .deb packages.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Ubuntu 17.04 install cannot connect to internet

  I encountered a problem when trying to install Ubuntu Desktop 17.04 on
  a HP Pavilion g7 Notebook with 8 Gigs of memory, on a disk that had
  been completely wiped clean. Basically, the installation CD could not
  connect to the Internet. I tried both a wired Ethernet connection
  (which the installation did not detect at all) and then a WiFi
  connection. The WiFi could at least be seen during the install, but
  the install could not find the Internet.

  In the end, I wiped the disk again and installed Ubuntu Desktop
  16.04.2 with no problems. It correctly detected and used the wired
  Ethernet connection to the Internet.