On 05/21/2017 09:58 PM, Kai-Heng Feng wrote:
> Well, these are XHCI:
> Good Autosuspend for USB device xHCI Host Controller [usb3]
> Good Autosuspend for USB device xHCI Host Controller [usb4]
> Good Autosuspend for USB device xHCI Host Controller [usb5]
> Good Autosuspend for USB device xHCI Host Controller [usb5]

It appears that changing Autosuspend to bad may have retained drive
recognition after it is first recognized.  But, this does not fix the
initial connection problem.

Before applying the change,

1.  connect a WD USB 3.0 disk drive to the external USB 3.0 hub.
     The drive led blinked but the drive does not show in dmesg.
2.  sudo lsusb -v
     The drive led blinked and the drive shows in dmesg as sdf.
3.  Mount the drive and start a dump level 0.
     After a 1/2 hour, or so, dump required operator intervention.
     In dmesg, the drive disconnected and reconnected as sdg.
4.  Disconnect the WD disk drive.

Apply the change.

     Bad  Autosuspend for USB device xHCI Host Controller [usb6]

5.  Connect the WD drive.
     The drive led blinked but the drive does not show in dmesg.
6.  sudo lsusb -v
     The drive led blinked and the drive shows in dmesg as sdf.
7.  Mount the drive and start a dump level 0.
     It appears the drive is operating much faster.
     Dump completed OK.
8.  Disconnect the WD drive, wait a couple minutes and reconnect
     The drive led blinked and the drive shows in dmesg as sdf
9.  Disconnect the WD drive, wait 5 minutes and reconnect
     The drive led blinked but the drive does not show in dmesg.
10. sudo lsusb -v
     The drive led blinked and the drive shows in dmesg as sdf.

Apply another change.

     Bad  Autosuspend for USB device xHCI Host Controller [usb3]
     Bad  Autosuspend for USB device xHCI Host Controller [usb4]
     Bad  Autosuspend for USB device xHCI Host Controller [usb5]

11. Disconnect the WD drive, wait 5 minutes and reconnect
     The drive led blinked but the drive does not show in dmesg.
     Disconnect shows in dmesg.
12. sudo lsusb -v
     The drive led blinked and the drive shows in dmesg as sdf.

Tom Dean

  USB 3.0 Harddrive not recognised

  Ubuntu is not recognising any device plugged into any USB 3.0 ports.
  Sometimes Ubuntu will freeze for a few seconds when you plug something
  into a USB 3.0 port; when Ubuntu comes out of the freeze, the device
  is still NOT recognised.

  No problems with USB 2.0 ports and devices.

  The USB 3.0 on this computer only works in Windows 7 (I'm dual booting
  Ubuntu 13.10 and Windows 7, both are 64-bit).