Public bug reported:

I'm currently looking into stability issues of several AMD Ryzen based
PCs in our company using Ubuntu 16.04 HWE and 17.04.

So far I was only able to find a single journal or log entry, which may be
related to the problem:
----------------->%-----------------
Jul 17 06:03:24 workstation kernel: BUG: Bad rss-counter state
mm:ffff94692f171f00 idx:0 val:18739
Jul 17 06:03:24 workstation kernel: BUG: Bad rss-counter state
mm:ffff94692f171f00 idx:1 val:9897
Jul 17 06:03:24 workstation kernel: BUG: Bad rss-counter state
mm:ffff94692f171f00 idx:3 val:229
Jul 17 06:03:24 workstation kernel: BUG: non-zero nr_ptes on freeing mm: 496
Jul 17 06:03:24 workstation kernel: BUG: non-zero nr_pmds on freeing mm: 27
-----------------%<-----------------

The issue appears to occur mostly after the system was running idle for
a long time (e.g. several days during a weekend).

When you return to the frozen system it appears to show the last image,
which was displayed before the freeze.

The attached files were taken from the same workstation where I was able
to recover these log entries from.

All systems are using the latest BIOS version available at ASUS or MSI.
All memory was chosen by QVL and has already been replaced several
times.

Here the hardware configuration:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
ASUS Prime B350M-A or MSI B350M PRO-VDH

Let me know if you need any additional information.

** Attachment added: "lspci-vnvn.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1704718/+attachment/4915927/+files/lspci-vnvn.log

  random freeze of AMD Ryzen based workstations