Revised report: 4.4.0-83-generic only affected one out of three Dell
Precision M4600s. A quick look at their device compliment didn't reveal
anything obvious. That is, the afflicted machine has the same network
adapter as the other two, and the same camera device of one of the other
two, and nothing unique on the USB bus.

Also, 4.4.0-87-generic seems to have fixed the problems in the affected
machine.

   Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

  I have a Clevo P150SM laptop. Recently, I have frequent kernel panics
  "Fatal exception in interrupt".

    Screenshot at https://i.stack.imgur.com/eZRcu.jpg

  (I will try to upload the screenshot of the console once I have a bug
  number).

  It happened the 1st time kernel 4.4.0-83 was installed and since yesterday's
package updates was
  happening almost all the time.

  Today (the next morning) kernel 4.4.0-83 is booting fine.

  The symptons are simular to bug 1702164

  (Sometimes it gets far enough to boot the X11 interface - and then crashes,
Sometimes it crashes while still in console text mode).
  2 leds are blinking: "CapsLock", and the other led which is not NumLock (but
I don't know what it is). NumLock is not blinking.

  I alread did as root:

      apt clean
      apt install --reinstall linux-image-generic linux-image-4.4.0-83-generic
      update-initramfs -u -k 4.4.0-83-generic
      reboot

  but it stays the same.

  (The first time I upgraded to kernel 4.4.0-83 the power went down in
  the middle of the upgrade, and I fixed the problem more-or-less with
  the commands above.).

  When it crashes, I manage to boot in 4.4.0-81-generic, and it still
  seems to work fine.

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:16.04.21
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.6
  Architecture: amd64
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Jul  8 10:01:21 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20140204)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: dist-upgrade
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to xenial on 2016-10-29 (252 days ago)
  VarLogDistupgradeTermlog: