Public bug reported:

When using Sunix latest low power VGA or DVI controller (see link below)
on Ubuntu 16.04, 17.04 or 17.10 with Kernel 4.11 and later cause the
system to crash on boot (the system will not become reachable via
network too, so I cannot extract any logs).

By using a second graphics controller I was able to extract the attached
kernel message from the system.

The issue also occurs with the latest mainline kernel (tested up to
4.13-rc3).

Sunix changed their graphics chip at some point from Volari Z11 to
Silicon Motion SM750. With the older generation, which uses the Z11,
everything is working.

Links to the graphics controllers which were previously mentioned:

http://www.sunix.com/en/product_detail.php?cid=1&kid=2&gid=15&pid=1760
http://www.sunix.com/en/product_detail.php?cid=1&kid=2&gid=15&pid=1766

previous generation Sunix 2D VGA controller:
http://www.sunix.com.tw/product/vga0411.html

When using Fedora 26 Server, which also uses Kernel 4.11+, everything is
working, too. So I'm not sure, if this is actually an upstream issue.

** Attachment added: "journal.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1707641/+attachment/4924549/+files/journal.txt

  Sunix 2D VGA controller causes kernel panic and crash on boot