If you (or anybody else) still have this hardware, is scaling working
properly these days?

** Package changed: cpufrequtils (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  CPU Scaling no longer supported on Single core 1.7Ghz Centrino

  Binary package hint: libcpufreq0

  Hi, I've noticed slow performance. My details are similar to the forum
  post "Single core 1.7Ghz Centrino stuck at 600MHz?" from 12th May
  2009. The post has no answer or further reference so I raised a bug
  here and I'll cross reference it on the Forum. My processor is stuck
  at 798MHz and on adding the cpufreq-applet I was treated to an error,
  "Warning CPU Frequency Scaling not supported". I have a Dell Inspiron
  9300. Regards, Richard

  Here is the original post:

  --------------------------------

  I'm been experiencing quite a slow performance on Ubuntu, specially on
  flash videos, and finally I discovered the it was not xorg or firefox
  or the ati driver but rather the cpu is stuck at 600MHz according to
  /proc/cpuinfo.

  model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
  stepping : 6
  cpu MHz : 600.012

  I had been experiencing sudden burst in performance for a while, and now I'm
guessing that all of a sudden the cpu just "breaks free" and goes to full power
for absolutely no reason, without my intervention. I'm waiting for this to
happen again, but I'm pretty sure this is the problem.

  I've been trying to fix it for a while but it's been quite difficult.
  I installed powernowd (success was reported here
  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134657), and running it says

  Please make sure that:
  - ....
  - That you have sysfs mounted /sys
  - That you have the core cpufreq and cpufreq-userspace
  modules loaded into your kernel

  Which I don't by checking lsmod | grep cpu, and no wonder, because
  according to something I read the new ubuntu kernel has the cpufreq
  modules built-in. But something is indeed failing because running ls
  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0 reveals

  cpuidle crash_notes topology

  The frequency part is missing.

  Any input? Can I refer to any log for further info?

  Thx in advance, I would really like to fix this thing... O_o
  Last edited by Cenoforums; May 12th, 2009 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: reference post

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
  ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/gnome-applets/cpufreq-applet
  Package: gnome-applets 2.26.1-0ubuntu1
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash