Sorry everyone, this is a mandos problem and it's in universe, so I
shouldn't have reported the problem here.  Building a 1.7.16 mandos-
client package fixed my issue.

  USN-3405-1 kernel cause kernel panic when using mandos

Status in linux source package in Xenial:

  When mandos is installed, kernel panics and doesn't get password from
  mandos server.  Since it happens so early in the boot, the panic isn't
  in the logs.  On machine that don't have mandos installed, kernel
  boots fine.  The linux-image-4.4.0-92-generic kernel works fine.

  sorry, I had to say I didn't know which package is was in order to
  submit the bug report, it's linux-image-4.4.0-93-generic.