qemu isn't involved.  We intentionally run armhf builds on an arm64
kernel (with an appropriate personality set) because this allows us to
make denser use of our build resources; I don't expect this to change.

  testsuite fails under qemu (SIGILL) works fine on real hw [missing
  getrandom 384 syscall]

Status in launchpad-buildd:
Status in qemu package in Ubuntu:

  Hello, after spending a lot of time debugging notmuch failure under
  armhf, we came to a conclusion:

  it started to fail when the infra moved to a new kernel 3.2 to a 4.2,
  and moved under qemu/kvm environment.

  the latest successful build is here  created on 2016-03-13
  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/notmuch/0.21-3ubuntu2/+build/9344826

  and the first bad is this one:  Started on 2016-08-31
  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/notmuch/0.22.1-2ubuntu1/+build/10600002

  Kernel version: Linux kishi10 3.2.0-98-highbank #138-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Mon
Jan 11 13:24:41 UTC 2016 armv7l
  Kernel version: Linux bos01-arm64-024 4.2.0-42-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun
28 21:24:20 UTC 2016 aarch64

  so, in the first case armhf was ran on top of an armv7 kernel, in the other
case it became an arm64 one
  this might not even be a regression in qemu/kvm, but rather a change in
buildd system that spot a new bug

  doing a xenial build failed aswell, so I presume this is not a
  toolchain regression (also because it works fine on real HW), but a
  qemu/linux bug.

  I did run the test under strace/valgrind, I can't do much more testing, but I
hope the logs can be useful for you

https://launchpad.net/~costamagnagianfranco/+archive/ubuntu/locutusofborg-ppa/+build/13169431

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/331134898/buildlog_ubuntu-artful-armhf.notmuch_0.25-2ubuntu1_BUILDING.txt.gz

  You can see the strace/valgrind outputs between "BEGIN" and "END"
  keywords