Attaching patch mentioned in bug 1714571 that I formatted from perf-tip.

** Patch added: "0001-perf-vendor-events-powerpc-Remove-duplicate-events.patch"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1708630/+attachment/4945576/+files/0001-perf-vendor-events-powerpc-Remove-duplicate-events.patch

  Ubuntu17.10 - perf: Update Power9 PMU event JSON files

Status in The Ubuntu-power-systems project:

  == Comment: #0 - Sukadev Bhattiprolu <s...@us.ibm.com> - 2017-08-03 20:36:26
==
  +++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #157304 +++

  ---Problem Description---
  BZ 150738 added  Power9 PMU event lists to the Linux kernel tree.
  We need to update the event lists to include several more events
  as well as clean up the event descriptions of some events.

  The patches for these updates were posted to LKML
       https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/8/2/699
  with:
      Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull JSON files for Power9 PMU events

  and were merged into Arnaldo's "perf-core" tree as git commits:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/acme/linux.git/commit/?h=perf/core&id=864c572433dedfb5c36db79c4ceb6dfb80b3344b
  ("perf vendor events powerpc: remove suffix in mapfile")

  and

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/acme/linux.git/commit/?h=perf/core&id=b547e94b919c84de22052935a77de9c8a97d3418
  ("perf vendor events powerpc: Update POWER9 events")

  We will need to include those updates into

  Contact Information = s...@us.ibm.com

  ---uname output---
  na

  Machine Type = Powre9

  ---Debugger---
  A debugger is not configured

  ---Steps to Reproduce---
   'perf list pmu' , 'perf stat' and 'perf record' are unable to list/use some
Power9 PMU events as they are missing from the kernel source tree.

  Stack trace output:
   no

  Oops output:
   no

  Userspace tool common name: perf

  Userspace rpm: linux-tools

  The userspace tool has the following bit modes: 64-bit

  System Dump Info:
    The system is not configured to capture a system dump.

  Userspace tool obtained from project website:  na

  *Additional Instructions for s...@us.ibm.com:
  -Attach sysctl -a output output to the bug.
  -Attach ltrace and strace of userspace application.