I suspect nearly no progress has been made as there are higher-priority
tasks that need doing.

This is still a desired feature and is unlikely to be forgotten though
it may be ages before it becomes the top priority.

Thanks

  support environment filtering

Status in AppArmor:
  Triaged
Status in apparmor package in Ubuntu:

  Confined applications have too much control over executables due to a
  lack of environment filtering in AppArmor. Bug #851986 is one such
  example. While we have employed the sanitized_helper to help, it
  should not be considered the final solution as it causes usability
  issues and is limited in what it can achieve. This bug is to track the
  environment filtering work.