[Expired for linux (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60
days.]

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  ubuntu fails to boot with btrfs root (unable to mount root)

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Hello,

  Failing to mount / as btrfs has been haunting btrfs users on ubuntu
  for some time. Coming and going with kernel updates.

  After I upgraded to 17.04, it seems that the problem is back.

  It seems that a non-clean umount reboot always leads to a non-bootable
system. If I boot into rescue (selecting in grub, not a livecd), kernel can
find the root partition. I can also boot normally if root=... kernel parameter
is set with the device name (/dev/sda6) instead of UUID=xxxx.
  So, there might be a bug in kernel that does not allow linux to identify the
boot partition using UUID in some circumstances (probably after a dirt reboot).

  Maybe other distros do some magic at initrd that cleans the btrfs
  problem because some, like opensuse, do uses btrfs as default root fs.
  Anyway, even ubuntu own rescue can boot normally.

  This is a tricky bug to debug as I get no logs written and no
  emergency shell. Just an ugly kernel error and a backstack.