Been using ubuntu for 5 years on the desktop, only just found out about
this it sucks the ubuntu desktop pacakge should set this value

  bad default swappiness for desktop systems

Status in Default settings for Lubuntu:
  New
Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in “procps” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in “linux” package in openSUSE:

  I am reporting this as a kubuntu-desktop bug, but I imagine it will
  apply equally to all desktop flavours.

  I did a clean install of Kubuntu on my laptop, which has 3GB RAM. I
  didn't create a swap partition. Afterwards I installed swapd and set
  it running. The performance was terrible. There was an awful lot of
  unnecessary memory swapping which slowed the machine to a crawl.

  I fixed this by changing the swappiness from 60 to 10, and making the
  change permanent in /etc/sysctl.conf. The gratuitous swapping stopped
  and the machine is responsive, as it should be. In other words the
  default swappiness value is not appropriate for a desktop system.
  Ubuntu should find a way to install itself that allows variables such
  as swappiness to be preconfigured to values appropriate to the use for
  which the particular flavour of Ubuntu is intended.