The unit entered a failed state, and thus would not automatically started until
failed state clears.
Why does bouncing of the services result in the daemon exiting with an error
condition? Should that particular exit code result in a graceful shutdown of
the service, such that the unit can be restarted again?
What userspace events should be causing the start of this unit? a udev event /
udev rule? a .path unit monitoring sysfs or some such?

Is it possible to reproduce this on e.g. azure for me to investigate?

I'm going to remove per-series tasks from systemd, until this issue is
trianged. per-series tasks on the src:systemd package are used to track
fixes/patches which have been developed and are ready for inclusion in
the distribution.

** No longer affects: systemd (Ubuntu Artful)

** No longer affects: systemd (Ubuntu Zesty)

** No longer affects: systemd (Ubuntu Xenial)

  [Hyper-V] LIS daemons fail to start after disable/re-enable VM
  integration services

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Zesty:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Artful:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Issue description: Hyper-V daemons fail to start after disable/re-
  enable VM integration services.

  Platform: host independent
  Affected daemons - KVP, FCOPY and VSS.

  Distribution name and release: Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.04
  Kernel version: 4.11.0-rc7-next-20170421 (for Ubuntu 16.04),
4.10.0-19-generic (for Ubuntu 17.04)

  Repro rate: 100%

  Steps to reproduce:
  1.    Start VM with Guest Services enabled (FCopy daemon starts automatically)
  2.    Go to File > Settings > Integration Services, uncheck Guest Services
and apply (FCopy daemon will stop at this point)
  3.    Re-enable Guest Services from VM Settings (Fcopy daemon is not running).
  This is the issue. systemd monitors for the service and if we have the hook
for the Guest Service, it tries to start the daemon again.
  systemd attempt to start any of the LIS daemons will fail, but manually
executing the daemon binary, it will start the daemon.

  Additional Info:
  - the steps above can be repro'd with KVP / Data Exchange integration service
as well.
  - Manually starting hv_fcopy_daemon works fine.
  - other distros (RHEL) does not have this behavior, the LIS daemons are
started automatically by systemd once we re-enable the integration service.

  On the upstream kernel and the upstream hv daemons, these messages are
recorded in syslog, once we re-enable the Guest service:
  HV_FCOPY: pread failed: Bad file descriptor
  systemd[1]: hv-fcopy-daemon.service: Main process exited, code=exited,
status=1/FAILURE
  systemd[1]: hv-fcopy-daemon.service: Unit entered failed state.
  systemd[1]: hv-fcopy-daemon.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.