Public bug reported:

In 16.10 duplicity seemed to run out of memory. In 17.04 duplicity
worked again to my satisfaction.

Now in 17.10 there is a problem with duplicity again. It seems to get
stuck after a while. I can move the mouse and see the pointer move on
the display but nothing else works. Only way to get on is to power off
(and power on again).

  duplicity gets stuck