This bug is awaiting verification that the kernel in -proposed solves
the problem. Please test the kernel and update this bug with the
results. If the problem is solved, change the tag 'verification-needed-
artful' to 'verification-done-artful'. If the problem still exists,
change the tag 'verification-needed-artful' to 'verification-failed-
artful'.

If verification is not done by 5 working days from today, this fix will
be dropped from the source code, and this bug will be closed.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how
to enable and use -proposed. Thank you!

  powerpc/64s: Add workaround for P9 vector CI load issue

Status in The Ubuntu-power-systems project:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Zesty:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Artful:

  == SRU Justification ==
  POWER9 DD2.1 and earlier has an issue where some cache inhibited
  vector load will return bad data. The fix is two part, one
  firmware/microcode part triggers HMI interrupts when hitting such
  loads, the other part is commit 5080332c2c89 from linux-next which then
  emulates the instructions in Linux.

  The affected instructions are limited to lxvd2x, lxvw4x, lxvb16x and
  lxvh8x.

  Commit ccd3cd361341 is needed as a prereq for Artful.
  Commits a3d96f70c147 and ccd3cd361341 are needed as prereqs for Zesty.

  == Fixes ==
  a3d96f70c147 ("powerpc/64s: Fix system reset vs general interrupt reentrancy")
  ccd3cd361341 ("powerpc/mce: Move 64-bit machine check code into mce.c")
  5080332c2c89 ("powerpc/64s: Add workaround for P9 vector CI load issue")

  == Regression Potential ==
  These commits are specific to powerpc.  They required some back porting but
   have been tested by IBM.

  -- Problem Description --

  When an instruction triggers the HMI, all threads in the core will be
  sent to the HMI handler, not just the one running the vector load.

  In general, these spurious HMIs are detected by the emulation code and
  we just return back to the running process. Unfortunately, if a
  spurious interrupt occurs on a vector load that's to normal memory we
  have no way to detect that it's spurious (unless we walk the page
  tables, which is very expensive). In this case we emulate the load but
  we need do so using a vector load itself to ensure 128bit atomicity is
  preserved.

  Some additional debugfs emulated instruction counters are added also.

  In order to solve this bug, we need to cherry pick the following patch

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/powerpc/linux.git/commit/?h=next&id=5080332c2c893118dbc18755f35c8b0131cf0fc4