I have a staging PPA that I'm using for testing at ppa:dannf/lp1710019.
The QEMU there is the attached debdiff (trivially) forward-ported to the
latest qemu in updates, and the kernel has the patches I plan to submit
to the kernel team. I've verified that this all works together on a
zesty system.

I also took a look at LP: #1731051 to see if we should include that fix
in this backport as well. I don't think we need to - the reboot command
in question doesn't work at all in zesty (w/ or w/o these patches. I
assume that was a feature added to QEMU post-2.8.

So yeah, from point-of-view this is all good to go. I'll proceed with
submitting the kernel-side backport.

  support GICv3 ITS save/restore & migration

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in qemu package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Won't Fix
Status in qemu source package in Xenial:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux source package in Zesty:
  In Progress
Status in qemu source package in Zesty:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Artful:
  In Progress
Status in qemu source package in Artful:

  Virtual machines on GICv3-based ARM systems cannot be saved/restored or
migrated.
  This feature was added in QEMU 2.10.

  [Test Case]
  ubuntu@grotrian:~$ sudo virsh save 7936-0 7936-0.sav

  Domain 7936-0 saved to 7936-0.sav

  ubuntu@grotrian:~$ sudo virsh restore 7396-0.sav
  error: Failed to restore domain from 7396-0.sav
  error: operation failed: job: unexpectedly failed

  ubuntu@grotrian:~$ sudo tail -3 /var/log/libvirt/qemu/7936-0.log
  2017-08-10T21:26:38.217427Z qemu-system-aarch64: State blocked by
non-migratable device 'arm_gicv3_its'
  2017-08-10T21:26:38.217565Z qemu-system-aarch64: load of migration failed:
Invalid argument
  2017-08-10 21:26:38.217+0000: shutting down, reason=failed

  [Regression Risk]