@ Giorgio Salluzzo Thanks for the workaround. It got me out of a real
mess.

I am on Ubuntu 17.10 but the same issue happened to me
For any one else in a panic, stuck in the same situation, kernel half
installed, this is what saved me:

* Kill Synaptic with "System Monitor"

* A dpkg process was left hung and was blocking further updates
        - So in "System Monitor" search for and kill the dpkg process that's
running and locking things.
        - Searching the string "/var/lib/dpkg" found it for me.
        - It had this process "linux-headers-4.3.0-17-generic.postinst"

* Here's the trick that made it work (@ Giorgio Salluzzo's workaround)
        Go to a virtual console CTRL+ALT+F6
        Login as your user name and run this command from there
        $ sudo dpkg --configure -a

* That alone is probably the fix but I also ran these from the same virtual
terminal
        $ sudo apt-get install -f
        $ sudo apt-get clean
        $ sudo apt-get update

* CTRL+ALT+F2 to get back to the desktop.

* Then "Software Updater" popped up a message saying run a "Partial Upgrade".
  Which I did. But it turned out I didn't need that so it stopped itself
automatically!

* Then I opened Synaptic and checked for updates. None.

* Back-up any user data and reboot. For me all went well.
  The new kernel was installed.

NOTES: I tried "sudo dpkg --configure -a" in a normal Terminal but it failed.
It just hung again like Synaptic did.
Giorgio Salluzzo's virtual console workaround was the trick.

But the virtual consoles can be weird.
CTRL+ALT+F1 locks my screen (and then the monitor switches off!) When you wake
the screen you can't log back in!!! You have to use CTRL+ALT+F2 to get back to
the desktop.

CTRL+ALT+F6 seemed to work best for me but when I tried it for the first
time it was just a black screen with a cursor. When I came back later it
had a promt for me to login with.

Virtual consoles tips:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/157617/reverting-from-ctrl-alt-f1

  Latest kernel update gets stuck

Status in linux source package in Zesty:

  I just installed the latest kernel update (4.10.0-20), but it gets
  stuck on the following line:

  Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
  run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 4.10.0-20-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-4.10.0-20-generic

  I can't finish the update process now. I am also unable to install any
  software because dpkg informs it's corrupted. But running sudo dpkg
  --configure -a causes it to get stuck again on the line above.

  More info is provided here on this AskUbuntu question:
  https://askubuntu.com/questions/908676/linux-kernel-update-stuck

  I hope I reported this on the right location.

  I am running Ubuntu GNOME 17.04