This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 1734147

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: artful

  Ubuntu 17.10 corrupting BIOS - many LENOVO laptops models

  Hi all,

  Basically on Lenovo Y50-70 after installing Ubuntu 17.10, many users
  reported a corrupted BIOS.

  It's not possible to save new settings in BIOS anymore and after
  rebooting, the system starts with the old settings.

  Moreover (and most important) USB booting is not possible anymore
  since USB is not recognized. It's very serious, since our machines do
  not have a CDROM.

  Lenovo forums at the moment are full of topics regading this issue.

  For example:

  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y50-70-BIOS-Can-t
  -Save-Settings-or-boot-with-USB/m-p/3849142

  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y50-70-BIOS-Can-t
  -Save-Settings-Or-Exit/m-p/3601285

  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/y50-70-BIOS-can-t
  -save-settings-and-I-can-t-boot-system/m-p/3865727

  Thank you!!

  #### UPDATE (27/11/2017) ####

  LENOVO machines affected so far:

  Lenovo Y50-70