Booted back to 4.10.0-37-generic and the problem seems to have gone
away.  This was 2 kernels ago.  I will try -38, the intermediate
version, and report back.

  Ubuntu 16.4.3 LTS update makes trackpoint erratic

  The latest reboot brought new software which has wrought terror on my
Trackpoint.
  The behavior is that the trackpoint begins behaving as if one is holding the
middle trackpad button - instead of trackpoint inputs causing expected mouse
pointer movement, windows switch, windows scroll.  I've seen erratic pasting as
well.  Once entered into this mode, the only way to return to normal is to left
or right click - in the trackpad (left click on the buttons above the trackpad
don't help).  Then you are safe for the next 15-20 seconds until another
faux-middle button press happens.

  This behavior is totally new with an update sometime in the last 2-3
  weeks (I don't often reboot).

  Lenovo T470