------- Comment From y...@cn.ibm.com 2017-12-07 20:44 EDT-------
> The kernel in use (4.4.0.45) is quite outdated and roughly a year old:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/s390x/linux-generic
> Please check if the problem also exists with latest kernel 4.4
> (like today 4.4.0.101.106 or soon newer ...)

OK. We will update the system at a proper time window. We cannot reboot
they system recently. I will update it here when it's done. Thanks.

  Got disk i/o failure when vary cpu offline via chcpu command (Ubuntu
  running on LPAR)

Status in Ubuntu on IBM z Systems:

  Got disk i/o failure when offline CPU via chcpu command

  ---uname output---
  4.4.0-45-generic #66-Ubuntu

  Machine Type = z13 - 2964

  ---Debugger---
  A debugger is not configured

  Contact Information = y...@cn.ibm.com

  Stack trace output:
   no

  Oops output:
   no

  System Dump Info:
    The system is not configured to capture a system dump.

  -Attach sysctl -a output output to the bug.