This may be an error in reporting on my behalf, I now suspect quite
strongly it may have been linked to timeshift (or whatever it is called)
the backup program, as, after i made the report i noticed it had created
a 25 gigabit backup on my boot drive, which quite likely will account
for the excess cpu usage. I have now deleted the program as well as
changed the kernel, so the issue has ceased to exist.

  busy cpu

  This kernal causes excess cpu usage, on my system, which is an amd 450
  athlon 8 gb ram hd  6670 gpu, m3n78-cm motherboard, after running for
  a short while (approx 15 to 20 mins) the cpu doesnt go below 50%
  usage, the system also, slows to a snails pace. changing the kernel
  cured the issue. although I could not isolate the offending cause,
  possibly bleach bit or opera browser.