closing that old report, as it has not got recent comment.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  et131x causing ksoftirqd to eat up cpu

Status in linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24 package in Ubuntu:

  I have a LG T1 Express Dual laptop with an Agere et131x ethernet adapter. In
Feisty, the driver (compiled from their SF.net project page, version 1.2.3)
worked fine without any major problems.
  Now, in Gutsy, after upgrading to linux-ubuntu-modules version 2.6.22-13.33,
the driver is included in the Ubuntu distribution. When the et131x module is
loaded, I experience the process ksoftirqd to be busy quite often, producing
heat and draining my battery faster. The solution is to unload the module if I
don't need wired ethernet, but of course it would be cool to have ethernet and
not haing 25-20% of your cpu eaten up by the kernel.
  The exact same problem exists with a self-compiled kernel module with the
patch found at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1709009&group_id=179406&atid=889025
 .
  Unfortunately, I don't know how to debug this problem or narrow it down. I
suspect the driver not being compatible with the new kernel's tickless
interface, but obviously I'm not sure about this.