This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 1742318

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  USB-Storage Quirk for 174c:1356

  A usb-storage quirk is needed for the Mediasonic ProRaid 2 Bay 2.5'
  SATA HDD / SSD Enclosure - USB 3.1 Gen-II Type-C (HUR6-SU31) for
  reliable use in Ubuntu/Kubuntu 14-17.10. Using quirk 'u' appears to
  have fixed disconnect issues during install and use.

  Linux Version: Ubuntu 4.13.0-16.19-generic 4.13.4

  Device ID:174c:1356 ASMedia Technology Inc.

  usb 9-1: new SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
  usb 9-1: New USB device found, idVendor=174c, idProduct=1356
  usb 9-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=1
  usb 9-1: Product: ASM1352R-Fast
  usb 9-1: Manufacturer: ASMT
  usb 9-1: SerialNumber: 0000000000000001
  usb 9-1: UAS is blacklisted for this device, using usb-storage instead

  Note: With/without UAS the issue persisted. I disabled UAS to prevent
  devices sleeping to eliminate that as a possibility.

  Symptoms: Before using the quirk, the enclosure would completely stop
  responding during an install attempt, and the usb host would
  eventually be disabled. The device's LEDs would continue to blink as
  if being accessed.

  Fix: I specified the quirk by appending "usb-
  storage.quirks=174c:1356:u" to the linux line in Grub. Hopefully
  others can verify this (if I'm not insane) and include a patch for
  this upstream in the Kernel.

  Note: For those who install to a device such as this, you may need to
  modify your installation before booting it, by creating a file
  "/etc/modprobe.d/asm1352r-usb-quirk.conf" with contents "options usb-
  storage quirks=0x174c:0x1356:u". I have seen others (through Google)
  issuing the same "u" quirk for several ASMedia devices...Perhaps their
  chipsets need this?

  This is my first bug report. If any more information is needed, please
  inform me. I'd like to thank a TJ- in Ubuntu's IRC for helping nail
  this down.