Would it be possible for you to test the proposed kernel and post back if it
resolves this bug?
See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to
enable and use -proposed.

Thank you in advance!

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: kernel-da-key

** Tags added: needs-bisect

  Kernel 4.13.0 update causing x to not load properly using amdgpu
  graphics on ubuntu 16.04.3

  On my ubuntu 16.04.3 system, the update to kernal 4.13.0-26.29~16.04.2
  (which also came in installing 4.13.0.26.39,although that wasn't the
  one that was running when the issue occurred).  After a reboot, x
  broke, with the boot initially started on the my left screen (the run
  running on an r9 390), and switched to  my right screen (Running off
  the integrated gpu of my Intel 4690-k), where it looked normal. For
  about two minutes, the screen would very quickly blink about 3 times a
  second. During this period typing was difficult, with many keypresses
  randomly missing. However that issue quickly went away.

  Initially I thought it was a compatibility issue with amdgpu-pro
  (17.04), however once I uninstalled that, the issue continued
  unchanged. (where then my system was running the version of amdgpu
  from the oibaf ppa). Once I managed to return to old kernal, my system
  returned completely back to normal.

  I can tell more system details, however won't help with more details
  of the bug, and I don't want to replicate it and break my system
  again. I am sorry however that I forgot to take a picture of both
  screens to show what was going wrong during boot, and the point at
  where it switched screens.