Thanks for all this good testing Tim and Joseph.
If I can help to keep things moving while Tim is travelling, let me know,
although might need a little guidance initially... if there are some good
instructions you can point me to on how to get the test kernel in and to
boot...
Tim: to your observation I see the issue (assuming it is the same one) with a
VM with no dual monitor.  But I do see the issue fix itself and reappear based
on the screen resolution.  Perhaps does that observation shed any further light
on it or fit with your external monitor results?

  Blank screen when starting X after upgrading from 4.10 to 4.13.0-26

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Artful:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  I'm following the HWE kernels in Ubuntu 16.04, so my kernel was
  upgraded today from 4.10.0-42 to 4.13.0-26. After rebooting, the
  splash screen and disk encryption passphrase prompt showed correctly,
  but when X started, the screen went blank. Logs showed everything
  running as normal despite the blank screen. Rebooting with the
  "nomodeset" kernel parameter fixed the issue but is not suitable as a
  permanent workaround since it disables my external monitor. Rebooting
  back into 4.10 also fixed the issue.

  I am using a ThinkPad X240 laptop, current HWE X.org packages. I tried
  both intel and fbdev X drivers, both gave a blank screen.

  lsb_release: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS

  dpkg-query -W:

  linux-signed-image-generic-hwe-16.04  4.13.0.26.46
  xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04        1:7.7+16ubuntu3~16.04.1
  xserver-xorg-video-intel-hwe-16.04    2:2.99.917+git20170309-0ubuntu1~16.04.1
  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev-hwe-16.04    1:0.4.4-1build6~16.04.1

  In Xorg.0.log with fbdev, I saw:

  [    23.646] (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument

  repeated 239 times.

  Typical kernel messages attached (from kern.log, reformatted to look
  like dmesg).