This bug was fixed in the package linux-meta - 3.13.0.141.151

---------------
linux-meta (3.13.0.141.151) trusty; urgency=medium

  * Bump ABI 3.13.0-141

linux-meta (3.13.0.140.150) trusty; urgency=medium

  * Bump ABI 3.13.0-140

  * Miscellaneous upstream changes
    - Revert "UBUNTU: Make kernel image packages depend on cpu microcode
updates"

linux-meta (3.13.0.139.149) trusty; urgency=medium

  * Make the kernel image packages depend on the cpu microcode updates,
    to ensure they are pulled into all host installs of Ubuntu on upgrade.
    LP: #1738259.

 -- Stefan Bader <stefan.ba...@canonical.com>  Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:38:42
+0100

** Changed in: linux-meta (Ubuntu Trusty)

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-meta in Ubuntu.

  need to ensure microcode updates are available to all bare-metal
  installs of Ubuntu

Status in linux-meta package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in linux-meta-hwe package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux-meta-hwe-edge package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux-meta-lts-xenial package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-meta source package in Precise:
  New
Status in linux-meta source package in Trusty:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-meta source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-meta-hwe source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-meta-hwe-edge source package in Xenial:
  New
Status in linux-meta-lts-xenial source package in Xenial:
  New
Status in linux-meta source package in Zesty:
  New
Status in linux-meta source package in Artful:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-meta source package in Bionic:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  From time to time, CPU vendors release updates to microcode that can
  be loaded into the CPU from the OS.  For x86, we have these updates
  available in the archive as amd64-microcode and intel-microcode.

  Sometimes, these microcode updates have addressed security issues with
  the CPU.  They almost certainly will again in the future.

  We should ensure that all users of Ubuntu on baremetal x86 receive
  these security updates, and have them applied to the CPU in early boot
  where at all feasible.

  Because these are hardware-dependent packages which we don't want to
  install except on baremetal (so: not in VMs or containers), the
  logical place to pull them into the system is via the kernel, so that
  only the kernel baremetal flavors pull them in.  This is analogous to
  linux-firmware, which is already a dependency of the linux-
  image-{lowlatency,generic} metapackages, and whose contents are
  applied to the hardware by the kernel similar to microcode.

  So, please update the linux-image-{lowlatency,generic} metapackages to
  add a dependency on amd64-microcode [amd64], intel-microcode [amd64],
  and the corresponding hwe metapackages also.

  Please time this change to coincide with the next updates of the
  microcode packages in the archive.

  I believe we will also need to promote the *-microcode packages to
  main from restricted as part of this (again, by analogy with linux-
  firmware).