looks like the kernel would need to be fixed first

** Package changed: libinput (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

  SMART Board Pen not supported

Status in libinput:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Ubuntu 17.10 | xserver-xorg-input-libinput 0.25.0-0ubuntu1

  I'm using Ubuntu 17.10 with a SMART Board 6000 (an interactive whiteboard) in
school.
  The touch-screen of the board works fine. Unfortunately there are a lot of
problems with the pen:
  - The pen isn't recognized as a device on Wayland. You can't either use it as
a touch-device or write with it.
  - The same problem occurs when xserver-xorg-input-libinput is used on X.Org.
  After I replaced libinput with the old xserver-xorg-input-evdev/-synaptics
the pen was recognized and I could use it. The output of xinput confirms this:

  xinput [libinput installed]:
  ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
  ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                      id=4    [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ SMART Technologies SMART IFP                    id=9    [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad                        id=14   [slave  pointer
 (2)]

  xinput [evdev/synaptics installed]:
  ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
  ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                      id=4    [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ SMART Technologies SMART IFP Pen                id=9    [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ SMART Technologies SMART IFP                    id=10   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ SMART Technologies SMART IFP UNKNOWN            id=11   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ SMART Technologies SMART IFP UNKNOWN            id=12   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ SMART Technologies SMART IFP UNKNOWN            id=13   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ SMART Technologies SMART IFP UNKNOWN            id=14   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad                id=18   [slave  pointer  (2)]