Public bug reported:

Hey,

I've recently pushed a couple of patches to enable IFLA_IF_NETNSID to be
passed in rtnetlink requests to avoid having to take the hit of setns()
to a network namespace and its owning user namespace when performing
operations on a target network namespace. This makes a lot of costly
operations for LXD through liblxc way cheaper. Juju is one candidate
that recently suffered from costs caused by lxc list on a LXD instance
with a lot of containers. If it's not too much trouble in the current
meltdown/spectre and pre-LTS release craziness it would be really great
if we could ensure that these patches make it into the Bionic kernel and
possibly be backported to the 16.04 kernel. The 16.04 kernel might be a
little annoying though since it misses a few pre-requisite patches but
if you think that we can do it I can give you the patches that you need
to make it easier for you! Here are the patches that are required for
4.15 in Bionic:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=7c4f63ba824302492985553018881455982241d6

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=c310bfcb6e1be993629c5747accf8e1c65fbb255

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b61ad68a9fe85d29d5363eb36860164a049723cf

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=5bb8ed075428b71492734af66230aa0c07fcc515

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=7973bfd8758d05c85ee32052a3d7d5d0549e91b4

There's one additional (security/hardening) patch which has been acked
and will very likely make it into 4.16 as well once Dave picks it up and
sends it to Linus. So I'm listing it here right away but if you want to
wait until it is fully upstream, I understand:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/870363/

Thanks!
Christian

  rtnetlink: enable namespace identifying properties in rtnetlink
  requests