Hello, this thread has a patch that solved the bug (for me).
https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg189347.html

The patch is here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg189923/0001-tg3-Add-clock-override-support-for-5762.patch

I tested this patch on the following kernels and situations.

1) Stable kernels 4.13.3 and 4.15 crash without the patch (plus all
other versions tested). Patch is not merged yet in the main linux
branch, until (and including) 4.15 (stable).

2) Stable kernels 4.13.3 and 4.15 work great with the patch: no timeouts
on tg3. Fast transfers on gigabit links and 10/100 links.

3) I wrote to the patch author, mentioned my results and asked when it
will be merged on Jan 31 (10 days ago). Still waiting, probably the
author is currently quite busy.

4) A lot of tests performed during weeks. The last session took about
one or two weeks, working full time, on an isolated network. Using the
fog open source cloning solution. Several hundreds of GB transferred
during tests, for cloning 100+ machines inside a few labs. Both single
and multicast cloning sessions used. Tested with a gigabit switch and
also with 10/100 switches. Checked both single and multicast, sequential
tests, in parallel, with/without power failures,  with/without several
patches, in many configurations, with lots of kernel parameters, you
name it.

5) The test scenario shows this bug is completely reproducible, 100% of
the time. Without the patch, my kernels always fail. Tested about 20
different versions and none worked. With the patch above, the two
versions always work correctly.

6) A minor detail: patch has a slight offset for 4.15 (2 lines, probably
new comments or code) but works anyway.

This work would be impossible without all the cooperation from the fog
team. Sebastian suggested the patch, and others helped a lot. A big
"thank you" for them!

I wonder when this will be merged in the main kernel. Please, can anyone
help on this?

Regards,
Paulo

  14e4:1687 broadcom tg3 network driver disconnects under high load

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in linux package in Debian:

  The tg3 broadcom network driver that binds with chipset 5762 goes offline and
unable to recover (even with tg3 watchdog timeout) when network transmit is
under high load.  Call trace:
  https://launchpadlibrarian.net/204185480/dmesg

  When this happens, only a reboot would be able to fix it.  Sometimes,
  however, bringing the interface offline and online (via ifconfig)
  would recover networking.  I've also tested with the latest tg3 driver
  (dec 2014 version) and networking is still problematic.  I have also
  disabled TSO, GSO etc... with ethtool and the bug still surfaces.
  This bug may be related to the integrated Firmware.

  Here is the procedure to replicate the issue because it is hard to
  replicate it under moderate network load.

  1. Bootup a machine with a broadcom 5762 NIC (ie. HP DeskElite 705) using a
Ubuntu/Kubunu Live CD 14.04-15.04.
  2. from another machine: start 5 sessions, repetitively copy (scp with public
key authentication) a 70 meg file back and forth to the tg3 machine in each
session. (not sure if this is necessary)
  3. create a 1GB file on the tg3 machine, with something like dd
if=/dev/urandom of=/my/test/file bs=1024 count=$((1024*1000))
  4. from another machine: repetitively scp copy that 1GB file from the tg3
machine. This can be done with something like:

  while [ 0 ]; do
     scp -i /my/scp/private.key u...@ip.of.tg3:/my/test/file /tmp
  done;

  Networking will mostly goes offline in about 10-30 minutes.

  WORKAROUND: Add udev rule to make the changes permanent in
/etc/udev/rules.d/80-tg3-fix.rules :
  ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTRS{vendor}=="0x14e4",
ATTRS{device}=="0x1687", RUN+="/sbin/ethtool -K %k highdma off"

  Package: linux-image-3.19.0-15-generic 3.19.0-15.15
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  kubuntu    3748 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  kubuntu    3748 F.... pulseaudio
  CasperVersion: 1.360